Hiring a SEO consultant to do the search engine optimization of a website can be a good idea if a person or company doesn’t have the time to invest in the optimization. It may also be a good idea if the owner of the website doesn’t know the best ways to optimize their site. It can be well worth the money that is paid a consultant for their SEO services if the right person or company is hired to do the work.
It’s not unheard of to hear people getting scammed by a SEO company that guarantees to put a website in the top placement with all the search engines. It is just not possible to guarantee that, as there are so many different factors that can go into getting the top placement in a search engine for certain keywords.
A person should never believe a SEO consultant that claims he can guarantee top placement in the search engines as he will not be able to deliver. Although top placement may not be possible, landing on the first page of a search is possible and that is what should be first aimed for.
Requirements of a SEO Consultant
Before a person hands over their website to a SEO consultant or SEO company, there are certain things that need to be considered in the contract.
- References from customers that the SEO expert has been able have their website rank well with the search engines should always be provided. A successful SEO company should be able to providereferences as well as case studies to show what they did and how they improved the ranking of a previous customer’s website
- A website owner should always be sure to ask what practices the consultant will use for search engine optimization of your website. The last thing that an owner should want to happen is for the company to use unethical practices to get their website ranked and then get the website banned or removed from the search engine listings.
- A good SEO company will offer progress monitoring in which they should be able to give reports at least every week on how things are going with the site and what has been done. This can be a brief report in the beginning considering that it will take awhile for the website to move up.
Services a SEO Consultant Provides
There are certain services that one should expect from a SEO consultant. Although some of these SEO services may vary from firm to firm, here is a pretty solid list of basic services.
- A professional SEO audit that should thoroughly examine the website and the existing SEO efforts (if any) to determine what needs to be improved started.
- Keyword and competitor research to put the website owner above the competition.
- Local business marketing services.
- On-page SEO which includes features like HTML tags, keywords, and content.
- Optimization of internal site navigation. The internal navigation can have a serious effect on how websites performs in the search engine results and should be optimized for the best navigation.
- Link building through various ways, but none unethical.
- Training for site owner on how to continue with the SEO efforts for the website.
Professional SEO firms can offer a lot of benefits to website owners, but great care should be taken when one hires a firm to do the work.